What is Bala Vihar ?
Chinmaya Mission’s Bala Vihar is a cultural & spiritual value-based education program for students ages four to seventeen, striving to create balanced and integrated individuals, positively contributing to the society.
Unleash every child’s infinite potential and capacity.
To help children Learn Values with fun, to delight like the moon And shine like the sun ~Swami Tejomayananda
“Children are not vessels to be filled, but lamps to be lit.” ~ Swami Chinmayananda
Chinmaya Mission’s Bala Vihar program rests upon the above assertion. The program is designed to channel energy; enthusiasm and curiosity of a child’s young & pliable mind in the right direction to help the child develop a strong character, identity & pride in his/her cultural roots such that he/she can relate with ease to any person or situation.
This goal of building a strong foundation is accomplished by:
· Teaching the fundamentals of Hindu culture
· Inculcating values, morals, and ethics as described in our scriptures
· Instilling tolerance & discipline
The motto of Bala Vihar is “Love, Learning & Laughter”. Our trained sevaks & sevikas impart knowledge in a safe, loving & fun environment through various different activities that tap into multiple intelligences for effective learning such as games, stories, drama, music, arts and crafts, discussions, and hands-on class projects.
How does Bala Vihar work ?
Starting the 1st Sunday after Labour Day in September our Bala Vihar session will commence with weekly classes for 1.5 hours taught by trained sevaks & sevikas.
Bala Vihar is organized into different levels based upon a child’s age & comprehension. Each level has a primary teacher & an assisting teacher and upto 10 students.
Level I – Bala Hanuman Grade KG
Level II – Prahalad Grades 1 & 2
Level III – Ekalavya Grade 3
Level IV – Tulsi Grade 4 & 5
Level V – Dhruv Grade 7
Level VI – Sudhama Grade 8 & 9
Level VII – Nachiketa Grade 10 & 12
What will Bala Vihar Students learn ?
– The stories, symbolism and values as taught in the Ramayana, Bhagwad Geeta & Mahabharata
– Reverence for religion, culture and spiritual tradition
– Teachings and Biographies of saints and visionaries
– Chanting of sacred shlokas, singing of bhajans
– True identity
– Relationship with God & world
– Symbolism in Hinduism
How will Bala Vihar students benefit?
– Spiritual awareness and cultural acumen
– Good conduct and character
– An appreciation and commitment for noble values
– An integrated personality
– Individuals learn to awaken their inner potential
What are the responsibilities of Parents?
– Continue to consistently bring your child to Bala Vihar
– Arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of Bala Vihar giving your child enough time to settle-in
– Take interest and ask your child what he/she learnt in the class
– Help and encourage your child to practice the learning
– Share stories, have discussions with your child
Bala Vihar is NOT a child drop-off or child minding service. Participation by a parent instead of parental sermon is likely to develop the importance of Bala Vihar in your child. Keeping this in mind we have a parallel, adult study group allowing the whole family to grow together. Participation in the adult study group by parents is STRONGLY suggested.
How can I enrol my child in Bala Vihar?
For more information please contact our Bala Vihar Sevika, Vinita Uppal at BV@chinmayacalgary.org or (403) 203-0751
What would be the topic for Adult Study Discussion group?
We would be studying various vedantic texts.